Desert Storm XX
September 9-11, 2021 Phoenix, AZ
Thank you to all that were able to attend this year!
I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, and the courses.
MONEY ROUNDS Winners - LeftofLeft and Brandon at -2
(had to go to the 6th playoff hole to take it.)
Second place was JJohnson and @jrock at -2 as well, third place was @CallMeAl and @FauxAmish at -1 (won on the first playoff hole).
MEMORIAL CUP Winners - the West team won 9.5 to 8.5.
The team consisted of: @JIMENGAZ1, Stephen B, Rick D, Jeff Q, @The_Vinman, @Baaab, JJohnson, @CallMeAl, Kenny, @customgolfcenter, Jack Z, @jamez, Ruben, and our founder @jrock !
They won with what may be a record -10. The second place team was -6, so it wasn't even close.
Thursday September 9th
Quintero Golf Club, 7:44am starting time
$169. Please get there early, as the cart drive to the range and first tee takes time.
The Money Round - $20/person for those that want in (or you can just play golf)
Two-Person Best Ball, 75% of your handicap applied
Optional afternoon round TBD
Friday September 10th
Grayhawk Golf Club, Raptor Course, 6:57am starting time
$125 for 18 holes, $205 for 36
Kirshner/Baird Memorial Cup – East (blue) vs West (red). Front 9 is two-person best ball vs the other team in group, 75% handicaps applied, play off the low number. Back 9 is singles match play, handicap differential between players. Winning team gets a beer, compliments of the losing team (and yes, it can be a fancy beer! Some of us drink nothing else.)
Optional afternoon tee times on the Talon Course start at 1pm
Saturday September 11th
Raven Phoenix, 7:00am shotgun start
$75 for 18 holes, $59 for afternoon replay
Desert Storm Championship – two-person best ball, 75% handicaps applied, random teams. Winners get the hats!
Optional afternoon round, starting times currently unknown.
Desert Storm Rules
We abide by USGA rules of play except for…
• The 14 club limit. Screw that! Bring all you want. A 'desert club' for those that want to hit off rocks and not mess up their regular beauties, or a driver for every mood you're in (a tip-of-the-hat to Moeman). Whatever it takes.
• We do adopt the local 'desert rule'. This means that the desert can be played (optionally) like a lateral hazard. Reminder, this means dropping from where it first entered the desert – NOT the distance at which it came to rest. 1 stroke penalty just like a lateral hazard.
• There are no gimmies in stroke play, obviously there are concessions in match play.
Pace of Play
• Ball Searches: The USGA ball search time was reduced to three (3) minutes. Please do not take any longer. We have the 'desert rule' in place for your convenience.
• Picking up: We want to ensure we do not hold up the entire course, so we highly recommend taking advantage of the team format and pickup if you're in trouble and your partner is in good shape. If you're both struggling – well… play it out. Thems the breaks 😊. Good luck!
• Best Ball: Each player plays their own ball and the two-person team score is the better of the two, after handicap is applied. This also means that you can pickup on a hole if your partner is in good shape. I.e., you're on your second penalty drop and your partner is looking at 5 feet for par (unless your partner putts like poo and a four-jack is in play from 5 feet 😉).
• Match Play: The Kirshner/Baird Memorial Cup is a match play event where you play the other team in your group. The strokes will be the differential off of the low handicap in the group. Like above, in the two-person format you can pickup if your partner is in good shape. In match play you can also concede putts/holes. Each match is worth a point for the team. The closest to pin challenge is a tie breaker should one be needed.
• Formats: Way back we found out people that come to the desert to play nice courses want to play the courses on their own ball. This means we generally do not play scrambles or games that take a club out of someone's hands (alternate shot, etc.). That doesn’t mean an afternoon format of such is out of the question, but its just not what we do most of the time.
Wednesday 9/8 12:50PM (23 golfers): hobbit, callmeal, jamez, fauxamish, ruben, rangerx, leftofleft, ali, johnr, brandon, vic, evan, dan, kirk, dwayne, jeffq, baaab, time4tim, Steven, livegolf, seymore101, jackz, vinman
Thursday 9/9 7:44AM (28 golfers):
Baaab & Jamez
CallmeAl & FauxAmish
Livegolf & Time4tim
Hobbit & Dwayne
Jimengaz & JeffQ
LeftofLeft & Brandon
AliG & MikeH
RangerX & Dan
JohnR & Kirk
Vic & Evan
Others yet undeclared or as random:
Vinman, Ruben, Steven, JRock, seymore101, JackZ, Customgolfcenter, JJohnson?
Thursday 9/9 PM: hobbit, jamez, fauxamish, ruben, rangerx, leftofleft, ali, johnr, brandon, vic, evan, dan, kirk, dwayne, jeffq, jackz
Friday 9/10 6:57AM: (27 golfers):
Please wear a shirt with the team color if possible
East (Blue) West (Red)
Dan vs. JimEngAZ
Brandon vs. Stephen B
LeftofLeft vs. Rick D
AliG vs. Jeff Q
Evan vs. Vinman
Vic vs. Baaab
Mike H vs. JJohnson
RangerX vs. CallmeAl
John R vs. Kenny
Hobbit vs. Custongolfcenter
Kirk vs. JackZ
Dwayne vs. Jamez
FauxAmish vs. Ruben
Friday 9/10 1:06PM: (21 golfers): hobbit, callmeal, jamez, fauxamish, ruben, rangerx, leftofleft, ali, johnr, brandon, vic, evan, dan, kirk, StephenB, dwayne, jeffq, rickd, baaab, jackz, Kenny
Saturday 9/11 7:00AM: (26 golfers): hobbit, callmeal, jamez, fauxamish, ruben, rangerx, leftofleft, ali, johnr, brandon, vic, evan, dan, kirk, StephenB, dwayne, jeffq, mike, jimeng, baaab, jrock, GrannyG, jackz, Sal, Kenny, Vinman
Saturday 9/11 PM: (20 golfers): hobbit, callmeal, jamez, fauxamish, ruben, rangerx, leftofleft, ali, johnr, brandon, vic, evan, dan, kirk, StephenB, dwayne, jeffq, baaab, jackz, Kenny?
Handicaps as of 9/3
Subject to change
John R 11.3
Mike H 9.1
Stephen B 6.4
Jeff Quinn 6.5
Rick Davis 6.4
Jim Englebrect 3
Jack Zhang 13
Dwayne Bass 19.1