sdandrea1 You are in the minority. Around here, I have yet to play with a guy that doesn’t hit it at least 270, “ but just can’t get it going without a slice”. I had one guy promise me he’d out drive me with a 4 iron, the list goes on, but I digress. I have met/ played with a handful of guys ever who actually hit it as far as they think they do and less than that of guys playing clubs that actually “fit” their game, much less being fit for clubs that suit them.
The 30-50 crowd seems to be the worst, the 50 year olds want to believe they are hitting it as far as the 30 year old and the 30 year olds think they are tour players and Gawd help you if you talk to the 20 something’s that all make LDA guys feel inadequate, but they generally admit they can’t score, so I’m not picking on them today.
I’m at the point of admitting I can’t hit it as far as I could, can’t make the shots I think I should be able to and still pretty much ok with it because I don’t give a shit anymore. Golf was a big part of my life for a while, I was pretty good, no where near great, but I don’t play 50+ rounds any more, now I play rounds that may require 50+ shots for 9. So back to the topic at hand, I’m going to play what makes the game easier as should 99.7% of people.
If everyone would get fit, the shaft options would allow that last piece to optimize results, instead it usually ends up a bandaid to cover shitty choices. Who really gives a shit what it says on the shaft? The labels are in the bag for 98% of the round and you should t be reading them the other 2% anyway. Play what works and let others do the same. I love a good conversation on it, with someone who gets it, but that’s the 1%. I need to move to a retirement community apparently.. I’m becoming a grumpy old man about 30 years early out here.